The Legal Drafting Department is one of the Professional Departments in the Federal Ministry of Justice. The Department is as old as the Ministry and is charged with the primary function of drafting and vetting of Executive Bills and Statutory Instruments of Appointment of Judicial Officers and Senior Advocates of Nigeria etc. The Department is headed by a Director, supported by competent lawyers and a set of administrative support staff
The Legal Drafting Department is charged with the responsibilities for:
- Drafting and vetting of Executive Bills for presentation, by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to the National Assembly.
- Drafting of Bills for the domestication of international conventions and treaties to which Nigeria is a party.
- Drafting of Statutory Instruments including Regulations, Orders and Government notice.
- Processing and ensuring the publication of Statutory Instruments in the Federal Gazette.
- Drafting and processing of the publication of the Instruments of Appointment of Judicial Officers appointed to the bench of the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, the Federal and State High Courts, and Senior Advocates of Nigeria.
By our mandate, the under listed categories are our clients;
- All members of staff of the Federal Ministry of Justice.
- Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria.
- Nigerian Civil Service Union.
- Amalgamated Union of Typist, Stenographers Technical and Allied Matters.
- National Youth Service Corp Members and Industrial Attaches Office of Accountant General of the Federation.
- Office of the Auditor General of the Federation.
- Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation.
- Federal Civil Service Commission.
- Nigerian Bar Association.
- Parastatals under the supervision of the Ministry and Next of Kin of deceased officers