Public Prosecution Department
The Department of Public Prosecution is one of the main Stream Departments in the Federal Ministry of Justice Its Primary functions include:
a) Proffering Legal Advice or Opinion to the Nigerian Police and other Law Enforcement Agencies, Ministries and Extra-Ministerial Departments on Criminal Matters and letters rogertories and extradition)
b) Public prosecution of accused person in all court of competent jurisdiction including the High Court, Federal High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court within and outside the Federal Capital territory, Abuja.
c) Defending criminal action in courts of competent jurisdiction on behalf of Honorable Attorney Generalthe Federation such as entering Nolle- prosequi authorized by the Honorable Attorney General of the Federation, Bail matters, Human Rights enforcement actions etc; Trafficking in minors and young women from Nigeria for the purpose of sexual exploitation;
d) Presently the Department is headed by a Director who is supported by competent Lawyers and effective support staff.
To effectively enhance performance and productivity for the well being of the public and safeguard the existence of public security through effective performance of its constitutional duty
To provide an excellent service of verification and credible information that will serve as a reference in the Federal Ministry of Justice.
- Proffering legal Advice on Criminal Matters;
- Undertaking of Public prosecution of accused person;
- Defending criminal action in courts of competent jurisdiction;
- Prompt and courteous handling of cases;Handling of extradition matters;
- Overseeing implementation of mutual legal assistance, agreement on criminal matters;
- Assisting and encouraging the criminal law jurisprudence in intellectual circles; and
- Overseeing and coordinating the work of other statutory prosecuting agencies.
- Nigerian Police
- Law Enforcement
- Agencies Ministers
- Extra-Ministerial Department
Grievance Redress Mechanism