The Freedom of Information Act, 2011 was signed into Law by former President Goodluck Jonathan on May 28, 2011 and came into force that same day. The purpose and objectives of the Act, as stated in its preamble, are;
a. To make public records and information more freely available;
b. To provide for public access to public records and information ;
c. To protect public records and information to the extent consistent with the public interest and the protection of personal privacy;
d. To protect serving public officers from adverse consequences for disclosing certain kinds of officials information without authorization;
e. To establish procedures for the achievement of these purposes and for other related matters.
The passage of the Freedom of Information Act fills a huge gap which hitherto existed in the legal framework for citizen’s access to information held by public officers, authorities and institutions in Nigeria
Related Documents on FOI Act
FOI ACT, 2011 Download Here
Attorney General’s Guidelines on the FOI Act (Download Here)
Section 2 (3) of the Act, provides that a public institution shall cause to be published in accordance with subsection (4) of this Section, the following information:
(a) A description of the organization and responsibilities of the institution including details of the programmes and functions of each division, branch, and department of the institution. (Click Here)
(b) A list of all –
- Classes of records under the control of the institution in sufficient details to facilitate the exercise of the right to information under this Act. (Click Here)
- Manuals used by employees of the institution in administering or carrying out any of the programmes or activities of the institution. (Click Here)
(c) A description of documents containing final opinions including concurring and dissenting opinions as well as orders made in the adjudication of cases.
(d) Documents containing;
- Substantive rules of the institution (Click Here)
- Statements and interpretations of policy which have been adopted by the institution. (Click Here)
- Final planning policies, recommendations, and decisions.
- Factual reports, inspection reports, and studies whether prepared by or for the institution (Click Here)
- Information relating to the receipt or expenditure of public or other funds of the institution (Click Here)
- The names, salaries, titles and dates of employment of all employees and officers of the institution (Click Here)
- The right of state, public institutions, or of any private person (Click Here).
- The name of every official and the final records of voting in all proceedings of the institutions.
(e) a list of;
- Files containing;
- Applications for any contract
- Licenses or Agreements
- Reports, documents, studies, or publications prepared by independent contractors for the institution.
- Materials containing information relating to any grant or contract made by or between the institution and another public institution or private organization.
(f) The title and address of the appropriate officer of the institution to whom an application for information under this Act shall be sent:
The Hon. Attorney General of the Federation,
Attn; Benjamin Okolo,
Head FOI Unit,
Federal Ministry of Justice HQ,
Plot 71B Shehu Shagari Way,
A. Freedom of Information Annual Report
B. FMOJ Annual Budgets